October Healthy Recipie: Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- 12 ounces whole-wheat elbow noodles
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups low fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons hot sauce, preferably Frank’s RedHot
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Bring a Dutch oven of water to a boil. Cook noodles until barely tender, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Heat oil in the pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink on the outside, 5 to 7 minutes. Whisk cornstarch and milk in a medium bowl; add to the pot along with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until bubbling and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in hot sauce.
- Spread the noodles in a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish. Top with the chicken mixture; sprinkle with blue cheese.
- Bake the casserole until it is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.