May’s Featured Healthy Recipe: Easy Salmon Cakes
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 15 ounces canned salmon, drained, or 1½ cups cooked salmon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1¾ cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Creamy Dill Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1½ teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley; remove from the heat.
- Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork; remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard; mix well. Add the onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2½ inches wide.
- Heat remaining 1½ teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.
- Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Creamy Dill Sauce. Serve salmon cakes with sauce and lemon wedges.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice makes about ⅓ cup.