James Kanellakos, MD, FAAOS
Dr. Kanellakos has practiced in the United States and Canada for more than 15 years.
Since 2007, he has been a partner with the Orthopedic Group in Morristown, New Jersey. He has been a part of the Summit Medical Group Orthopedics team since 2015. He practiced previously with Orthopedic Associates, PC, in Binghamton, New York. He has been an attending physician in general orthopedic surgery for Markham Stouffville Health Centre in Markham, Ontario.
A sought-after speaker, Dr. Kanellakos has delivered invited presentations in his field for professionals and patients. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the New Jersey Orthopedic Society, and the Canadian Orthopedic Association. He is a recipient of the Canadian Orthopedic Surgical Alliance Award.
“I am devoted to the well-being and interests of my patients. In addition to using the latest surgical techniques when caring for them, I explain advantages and disadvantages of procedures so that patients can make informed decisions about their care. Helping my patients return to an active, pain-free lifestyle with joint replacement surgery is gratifying,” says Dr. Kanellakos.
James G. Kanellakos, MD, FRCSC
Dr. James G. Kanellakos specializes in general orthopedic surgery, with expertise in hip replacement, knee replacement, arthroscopic surgery of the knee and shoulder, fracture stabilization surgery and other orthopedic trauma surgeries.
His experience includes computer-assisted surgery, minimally invasive joint replacement, partial knee replacement and complex revision surgeries. He performs minimally invasivemuscle-sparing hip replacement surgery. He also performs MAKO robotic-assisted joint replacement surgery.
Foot & Ankle
- Arthroscopic surgery of the upper and lower extremities
- Cartilage surgery of the upper and lower extremities
- Fracture treatment of the upper and lower extremities
- Joint replacement of the upper and lower extremities
- Tendon repair of the upper and lower extremities
Hand & Wrist
- Fracture and dislocation repair of the wrist, forearm and elbow
- Fracture care
Hip & Knee
Shoulder & Elbow
- Arthroscopic and open shoulder reconstruction
- Arthroscopic labral repair or debridement (including SLAP repair)
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
- Biceps tenodesis
- Clavicle fracture fixation
- Distal biceps repair
- Humeral shaft and distal humeral fracture fixation
- Open and arthroscopic acromioclavicular reconstruction
- Proximal humerus fracture fixation
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Surgical treatment of medial and lateral epicondylitis (tennis and golfer’s elbow)
- Foot & Ankle
Trauma & Fracture
Fax: (973) 538-4957
Tuesday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Choice Plans
- Medicare Advantage
- Open Access
- Open Access
- Open Access Plus
- ANTHEM® BLUE CROSS® AND BLUE SHIELD®
- ATLANTIC HEALTH
- CIGNA GREAT-WEST HEALTHCARE®
- Cigna Health Plan (CHP)
- Network Open Access
- EMPIRE BLUE CROSS® AND BLUE SHIELD®
- HORIZON BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD (BCBS) BARNABAS EMPLOYEE HEALTH PLAN
- Direct Access
- HORIZON® BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD (BCBS) NEW JERSEY
- BC out-of-state PPO plans
- Horizon Blue Medicare Advantage
- Railroad Medicare
- Traditional Medicare
- Oscar NJ Individual & Family Plans
- Oscar NJ PPO Plan
- Freedom Plans
- Liberty Plans
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS® (PHCS) MULTIPLAN
- QUALCARE, INC.
- UNITED HEALTHCARE SERVICES, INC.®
- AARP Medicare Advantage
- Medicare Advantage
- New York State Health Insurance Plan (NYSHIP)
After struggling with hip pain and walking issues, my health care provider suggested I considered a total hip replacement. In conferred with several health care professionals and Dr. Kanellakos was mentioned. Besides his skill with total joint procedures, I was told that his background at the Canadian trauma hospital prepared him for treating complex orthopedic cases.
I did not have to wait long for an appointment, and my appointment was on time. The staff was pleasant, efficient and willing to answer questions.
“Dr. K” was kind and professional. He patiently answered all of my questions to the extent that I felt comfortable enough to choose him to perform my surgery.
The procedure went smoothly. Hospital stay went well, private room and caring staff. After 2 nights, I required no pain meds (only used it for sleep). I was followed with home PT.
My incision is just a fine line. Stitching is under the skin and outer layer held together with surgical glue. Truly amazing workmanship!
At 4 months post-op, I am awaiting my 2nd hip replacement already scheduled next month with Dr. K.
I research the subject of total knee replacement and searched for the right doctor for almost 3 years. I was referred to Dr. Kanellakos by a family friend, a retired nurse from Summit Medical Group, who had her hip replaced by him…and gave him 10 stars.
During my first appointment with De. Kanellakos, a sense of relief let me know I had found the right doctor…finally!! His calm, caring, considerate and confident demeanor put me at ease. His positive energy permeates throughout the office to his amazing staff.
Something he said stayed with me, “I do this all the time, you don’t. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to call or come into the office.” The doctor and his staff are never too busy to address your needs.
My whole experience with my knee replacement, from the first appointment to recovery and return to work was phenomenal. I refer people to Dr. Kanellakos whenever the subject of joint replacement comes up in the conversation.