DeFabio Spine & Sports Rehab
DeFabio Spine & Sports Rehab has been treating patients in New Jersey since 1985. To date, we are the longest stating Chiropractic and Sports Rehab Office in Berkeley Heights, NJ. DeFabio’s treatment paradigm is focused on clinical thoroughness, professional integrity and excellent results in a welcoming and friendly environment. Our approach is three fold focusing on relief care, rehabilitative and corrective care, and wellness care.
Donald DeFabio, D.C., CES, PES DACBSP, FACO
My philosophy in patient care is to treat you like I would treat myself, my wife or my children. I have personally benefited from all of the techniques, therapies, exercises and home care products so I may better relate to my patients. Of course, if a referral is necessary, I will recommend a patient outside for a second opinion.
My commitment to you is to exceed your expectations and deliver #TheDeFabioDifference!
- Team Chiropractic Physician for Drew University
- Madison, New Jersey from 2008-Present
- Team Chiropractic Doctor Rutgers Men’s and Women’s Track and Field
- Piscataway, NJ, 2014-2016
- Member of the US Olympic Committee Sports Medicine Society
- Strength and conditioning coach for the Somerset Hills YMCA Swim Team
- Basking Ridge, New Jersey from 2008- 2010
- Event physician Ironman Triathlon World Championships
- Kona, Hawaii from 1991-1999
- Event physician Freedom Tour Professional Bike Race. An NJBA Cup event for six years.
- Medical coordinator and classifier for the US Wheelchair Fencing Team
- From 1999-Present
- Event physician/trainer U.S. Fencing Association North American Cup and New Jersey Tournaments.
- Member, USFA Sports Medicine Committee.
- From 1995-Present
- Member of the International Wheelchair Fencing Classification committee since 2001.Dr. DeFabio was the first doctor outside of Europe and the Middle East to obtain this certification.
- Event Physician for the U.S. Track and Field Meets in New Jersey.
- Team Chiropractic doctor for the New Jersey Rock’n Rollers, Professional Roller Hockey.
- Author, Fluid and Nutrient Maintenance Before, During and After Exercise, Journal of Chiropractic Sports and Rehabilitation.
- Author, Open vs. Closed Chain Kinetic Exercise: A Clinical Application, Journal of Sports Chiropractic and Rehabilitation.
- Co-author, Patient Satisfaction Questionnaire Implementation at the Ironman World Championships, Journal of Sports Chiropractic and Rehabilitation.
- Co-author, The Role of Transcranial Doppler Sonography on the Identification of Patients at Risk of Cerebral and Brainstem Ischemia, Journal of Manipulative and Physiologic Therapeutics.
- Producer and host of The Natural Way to Better Health and Wellness a thirty minute television show produced monthly for Hometowne TV, Summit, New Jersey
- Columnist, www.TheAlternativePress.com, Health Management- The DeFabio Way, Fit is the New Thin – a biweekly column on health, fitness and wellness
- Producer and host of Spotlight on Berkeley Heights, a thirty-minute television show produced monthly for Communities on Cable, Summit, New Jersey for 7 years.
- Diplomate, American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedists
- Fellow, Academy of Chiropractic Orthopedists
- Diplomate, American Board of Chiropractic Sports Physicians
- Active Release Techniques, Spine, Upper and Lower Extremity
- Selective Functional and Movement Assessment
- Manipulation Under Anesthesia
- Whiplash Traumatology
- National Academy of Sports Medicine
- Corrective Exercise Specialist
- Performance Enhancement Specialist
- Named 2013 Chiropractic Doctor of the Year from the Association of NJ Chiropractors – ANJC
- Appointed Chairman ANJC Council of Physical Rehabilitation and Performance
- First United States doctor to be appointed to the International Wheelchair Fencing Classification Committee.
- Certified to classify wheelchair fencers for the Paralympic Games. First doctor in the U.S. to obtain certification.
- Selected as a Graduate Fellow in Anatomy at the NY Chiropractic College. Teacher Assistant in the cadaver labs.
- Received nomination for an appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York.
- American Chiropractic Association, Association of New Jersey Chiropractors, ACA Orthopedics Council, ACA Sports Council.
- Previous staff Chiropractic Physician for the Felician Sisters Provincial Infirmary, a 75 bed facility.
- Board of Directors Association of NJ Chiropractors
- Chair, ANJC Council on Physical Rehabilitation and Performance
- Senior Classifier for the International Wheelchair Fencing Association. First physician outside of Europe and the Middle East to be appointed to the committee.
- Chairman, Classification Committee for International Triathlon Union Physically Challenged Division.
- Chairman, Endurance Sports Symposium.
- Chairman, Ethics Committee, New Jersey Chiropractic Society.
- Race Day and Race Week coordinator for the ACA Ironman Triathlon treatment team
- Board of Directors, New Jersey Chiropractic Society.
- Served on the Board of Directors and Secretary, First Vice President, President of the Berkeley Heights Lions Club.
- Diagnose the underlying cause of your health problem
- Recommend a care plan to produce the fastest results possible
- Offer ways patients can participate in their recovery
- Transition the patient to corrective exercises and rehabilitative care
- Teach you the proper exercises to restore your flexibility, strength and stability
- Create new muscle and joint memory to “hold” your treatments better
- Introduce wellness and preventive care for long-term correction
- Prevention of sickness and re-injury with diet, nutrition, exercise and wellness visits.
- Active Release Technique
- Cold Laser
- Cox Flexion-Distraction
- Motion Palpation
- Sacro Occipital Technique (SOT)
Wednesday: 9:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Friday: 9:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Dear Dr. DeFabio,
Thanks for a life renewed. Following heavy doses of prescribed drugs, injections and PT, my arm remained the same. Upon the advice of a friend, I visited your office. Within six short weeks I discarded the use of pain killing drugs. Your chiropractic skill has brought life back into my life.
As a fellow Chiropractor, I appreciate your expertise and skill. I became hobbled by an ankle injury that kept me from running. After three of your treatments I was running again and completed the Jersey Shore Marathon, which wouldn’t have been possible without your help. THANKS!
Dear Dr. Don,
No wonder you are so successful. Taking the time to follow up with a patient; almost a lost art today. Couple that activity with your warmth, wit, caring attitude and willingness to help as you are a fellow at the top of his profession.
See you Saturday. X-ray sounds good to me.